Our next monthly meeting will be on November 20th – African Images with Tom Way in our usual venue, St Andrew’s Methodist Church Hall, Merton Road, Slough, SL1 1QW starting at 2pm.
Tom Way is a professional fine art wildlife photographer. He has been awarded in various international competitions including European Wildlife Photographer of The Year and the Sony World Photography Awards. Tom favours a fine art style approach to photography, exhibiting his work in galleries and exhibitions
This talk focuses on various wildlife hotspots around the world which Tom has been fortunate enough to visit and photograph the amazing wildlife in their natural environment. Tom describes his adventures photographing King Penguins in the Falklands, Orangutans in Borneo, Blue Whales in Sri Lanka and his biggest passion of all: the big five in Africa.
Future U3A general meetings at St Andrew’s: –
- December 11th – Christmas Special
- January 15th – An Inspector Calls
- February 19th – Curiosities in the Chilterns
Entry to our general meetings is free to members as well as to first-time visitors.
Slough U3A welcomes retired and semi-retired people – those in their “third age” – who are interested in participating in any of our activities or groups.
Would anyone be interested in joining in a lunch club? Come to the monthly meeting on November 20th to discuss arrangements.
What’s on around Slough?
Slough 50plus Forum meets on the third Thursday of each month at 1:30 pm, in Kingsway United Reformed Church, Church Street SL1 1SZ. Click here for their latest report.
- November 21st – A packed program includes Slough Talking Therapies and Mental Health in the over 55’s.
- December 19th – Seasonal Health Updates.
Coming up soon at the Curve, Slough’s library and community centre: –
- Queens of Sheba. Turned away from a nightclub for being “too black”, four women take to the stage with their own explosive true stories. November 29th.
- Panto – The Wizard of Oz. Something to amuse the grandchildren! From 13th to 23rd December – click here or call 0333 666 3366 for tickets.
An evening of popular music in aid of Slough Samaritans Saturday 23 November 7.30pm St Bernard’s Catholic School, at 1 Langley Road,. Featuring jazz pianist Laurie Holloway, jazz singer Tina May, classical pianist Robert Cheung and the Maidenhead Community Choir to help raise funds for local Samaritans. Tickets £16 available from: thelittleboxoffice.com/sswm
Carers Drop-in Session on Tuesday 19 November 10:30am to 12:30pm at HOME on the High Street, Unit 43-45, Observatory Shopping Centre, Slough, SL1 1LE. Suitable for anyone in an unpaid caring role, the drop-in will be an opportunity to speak to someone face-to-face about your caring role.
Annual Tesco Food Drive –21, 22 and 23 November at Tesco, Wellington Street. Slough Foodbank need volunteers to help with their annual food collection. If you would like to volunteer for a 2 hour slot, let Sue from Slough Foodbank know by emailing email@example.com.
Slough Town Centre Winter Festival led by community arts charities Art Reach, Same Sky and Mandinga including the Christmas Light Switch On. The event will also include the fantastic local dance college, Creative Academy, with illuminated statues and live music. Slough Town Centre, 2 pm onwards on Saturday 23rd November 2019.
Christmas Fayre at St Laurence’s Church, Upton Court Road on Saturday 16th November from 11 AM. Preserves, cakes, crafts and more.
Burnham Beeches – Woodland Wonders festive trail Saturday 30 November to Wednesday 1 January Get yourself in the festive mood by collecting one of our leaflets from the Information Point and guiding yourself along our seasonal trail. Fun for all ages! Suggested donation £2. Bring a pencil!
Slough Philharmonic’s new season has started! Details here: http://sloughphil.org/concert-diary-2019-20 To buy tickets online CLICK HERE or phone box office 0300 365 7445. The first concert of our new season features Mozart’s joyful and melodious Oboe Concerto, one of the most important concertos in the oboe repertoire. Our soloist is Rebecca Heathcote, graduate of the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. 7.30 PM, Saturday 16th Nov. Venue St Bernard’s Grammar School 1, Langley Road Slough, Berkshire SL3 7AF.
The Slough & Windsor Railway Society meets on Friday evenings at The Manor, by Slough railway station, from about 7:15pm. The meeting is open to all 29th November 2019 – enjoy an evening of archive cine film featuring Railways in the 1950’s led by Frank Banfield. Anyone is welcome! Not just members of the society!
A selection of Christmas Concerts:-
- Slough Philharmonic – featuring Vivaldi’s Gloria, Corelli’s Christmas Concerto, Mozart Exsultate Jubilate and Carols for all 7.30 pm, Saturday 14th Dec at Centenary Hall, Caldicott School
- Windsor & Eton Choral Society – Family Carols with Brass Ensemble from the Royal Academy on Sunday 15th Dec 2019, 2:45pm in Eton College School Hall. Click here for ticket details
- Burnham Concert Band – on Friday 29th November, we will be playing a varied programme of music including some new pieces and, of course, a selection of your seasonal favourites. Doors open at 7pm and the concert starts at 8pm. Click here for tickets. Burnham Park Hall, Windsor Lane, Slough, SL1 7HR.
- Stoke Poges Singers – Make Our Garden Grow on Saturday, 30th Nov at 7:30pm. St Andrew’s Church Hall, Rogers Lane, Stoke Poges, SL2 4LN. Tickets: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/stoke-poges-singers
U3A National & Regional Events
There are a wide range of study days and Summer Schools available nearby, open to U3A members only. For a complete list, click on one of these links: National events & Thames Valley & Surrey & London. Here are a few of them:
- Feb 3rd 2020- Discovering Children’s Literature. At the British Library. You’ll learn about early printed children’s books from the 18th and 19th centuries, such as Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice’s Adventures Underground’, and how they have been collected and cared for at the British Library.
- Thames Valley Network Christmas Concert by the Brandenburg Singers – Tuesday, 3rd Dec at 2.00 pm St James Church, Sussex Gardens, Paddington, London W2 3UD. Our concert, including popular carols, Christmas music, audience participation and seasonal readings will send you home singing. Click here for details
- Wednesday 18th March 2020 – The history of The Thames and its boats – Henley.
- Wednesday 8th April – Cyber Crime “Protect your world” held at King’s Church, Amersham
- Thursday 23rd April – Understanding Historic Buildings. Study Day at Benson
U3A Principles and Membership
Slough U3A is a co-operative of older people, generally who are fully or part retired. Our members enjoy and share educational, creative and leisure activities. We are proud to be a dynamic group; we have built up a range of activities and groups enabling our members to learn new things and enjoy active retired life. New activities are starting all the time.
We welcome new members.
Membership of Slough U3A is £18 per annum (individual), £34 (couple), giving unlimited access to our groups and activities. If you join now, membership is valid until 31 August 2020. Subscription monies are used to pay for meeting costs, subscription to our quarterly magazine “Third Age Matters”, insurance etc. Membership is not transferable to other U3A’s.