February’s Monthly General Meeting
In our monthly meeting on Wednesday 15th February we’ll hear from Susanna Beard about her journey to publication – “Becoming an Author: A Rollercoaster Ride.”
Have you ever though you would like to write a thriller? Since the age of seventeen, Susanna wanted to write a novel. It took more than forty years for her to find the impetus she needed – and the courage – to go ahead.
Susanna takes the audience through her journey to becoming a published author – the ups and downs, disappointments and thrills. She discusses the mysteries of publishing, the need for resilience, patience and determination and the joy of seeing her books in print. If you’ve ever wondered where authors get their ideas from, you’ll find out in this talk.
Susanna now has six published novels, all psychological thrillers, with the most recent published in March last year. She has ideas for the next two, as well as a trilogy and a series – so plenty to keep her going!
Our General Meeting starts at 2pm in St Andrew’s Church Hall in Merton Road, Slough SL1 1QW. The meeting is open to both u3a members and non-members; we always welcome guests and potential members who are interested in our talks and activities.
The small car park at the rear of the church is available for those who have difficulties with mobility. Otherwise, we ask you to please park in one of the pay-and-display car parks nearby, or in Upton Court Park (free) about 10 minutes’ walk away.
Future meetings and talks: –
- Wed 15th March The Poison Umbrella Murder
- Wed 19th April Guide Dogs for the Blind
Can you help us?
Every month, we send out an average of two mailshots to our members. We’d love to find a volunteer who can help with our mailshots, such as this one. Mostly they are sent out via our email system, but we also need to print and post a few copies.
What’s involved? Basic PC skills needed; it would be useful to have a tiny bit of experience with word-processing (e.g. Microsoft Word or Apple Pages).
We’ll train you, provide equipment if necessary, and reimburse expenses. Once you’ve got the hang of it, it should take only a couple of hours per month. Please contact any member of the Committee to find out more. Thank you!
What’s on – Slough U3A.
(To find out more about these events, please contact our Groups Coordinator, Beverley on
- Every Thursday – Badminton
- Monday 6th Feb – Activity Club (Scrabble, Bridge and Table Tennis)
- Wednesday 8th Feb – gentle walk in Black Park
- Wednesday 15th Feb – Monthly general meeting at St Andrew’s
- Friday 24th – Art Appreciation Group visit Tate Britain
U3A events online – click on the link for more information.
- Tuesday 21st Feb Zoom talk – “At Home with Agatha Christie” http://u3atvnetwork.org.uk/?page_id=44
- Wednesday Mar 1st – Zoom talk “Climate Change” https://www.u3a.org.uk/events/educational-events
Out and about in Slough
- “Knit your socks off” are knitting to support Alexander Devine Hospice. https://www.facebook.com/groups/955718884486782
- Digital Buddies Programme will provide you with one-to-one support on the internet https://thesloughhub.org/digital-buddies/
- Free dance classes https://mcusercontent.com/ea1e49aaabd56a10775a3fdc5/images/9cb607ce-e7c8-26e7-3875-0acaf352c900.jpg
- Thursday -16th February – Slough 50plus Forum looks at Wills and Power of Attorney Click here
- Tuesday 14 February – Carers Valentine Forum https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/slough-carers-networking-forum-valentine-special-tickets-476497917097
- Tuesdays 1pm – 2pm Seated exercise class at the Curve library – Slough Borough Council
Reading Friends sessions at The Curve Library
Fun and informal shared reading sessions. Extracts and poems read aloud, followed by a friendly conversation about what we’ve read. You can also choose to just sit back and listen.