Slough Libraries are reopening
Slough Borough Council is beginning the phased process of safely welcoming residents back to our libraries. All four of our libraries – The Curve, Britwell, Cippenham and Langley – are now partially open for our new Click and Collect service.
Hygiene and Safety
We are introducing comprehensive safety and social distancing measures. These will include:
- Rigorous cleaning in our libraries and hand sanitiser provided at library entrances.
- Limiting the number of customers in our libraries at any one time and only for Click and Collect bookings.
- Clear signs asking you to observe social distancing.
- Separating returned items from the rest of the stock for 72 hours in line with Public Health England advice.
- Reducing the amount of contact needed. Services which require close contact such as events and activities have already moved online.
Click and Collect
From Monday 6th July you can start to use our Click and Collect service. All you need to do to receive a selection of books chosen by our local library staff is either fill in a form which can be found on this link https://slough.spydus.co.uk/ or email Clickandcollect@slough.gov.uk or telephone your library:
|The Curve:||Email: Library@slough.gov.uk||Tel: 01753 875533|
|Britwell:||Email: BritDesk.BritDesk@slough.gov.uk||Tel: 01753 522869|
|Cippenham:||Email: CippDesk.CippDesk@slough.gov.uk||Tel: 01628 661745|
|Langley:||Email: LangDesk.LangDesk@slough.gov.uk||Tel: 01753 542153|
- Let us know what sort of books you like – thrillers, fiction, non-fiction – travel, biographies, children’s – picture books, teenage – this will help us to give you a selection of books available in our libraries as opposed to having a particular title or author which may not be available
- Let us know whether you prefer paperback, hardback, large print
- Let us know how many books you would like. We can choose up to 10 for you.
- Let us know what library you would like to collect them from
- We have extended the loan period to 12 weeks and their will be no fines at this time.
We will find your books, issue them to you, put them in a bag and add a sticker with your name on. We will then call or email you with a date and a timeslot that is suitable for you or a named person to come and pick them up. We ask you to try to come within your timeslot but if you are early or late we will do our best to get your books safely to you.
Returning your books
You can come to any of our libraries to return your books. There will be a container at the entrance to the library where you can place them. Any returned books will be placed in quarantine for 72 hours. You can renew your books in the normal way – online or by telephone or use our library app. Issue and renewal dates have been extended to 12 weeks and there will be no fines during this period. To help ensure social distancing, the numbers of users allowed inside each library at any one time will be limited to pick up your click and collect books, so it may be necessary to queue outside the library for safety reasons at busy times.
We will still have our full online offer of events and activities. Library online events and activities can be found here:
You can still use our e-resources to download books, magazines and courses
Use BorrowBox to browse, borrow and read or listen to ebooks and audio books anywhere and everywhere.
To download the app, go to the app store on your device, search for and download Borrowbox.
- Get ebooks and audiobooks with BorrowBox
- Get ebooks and audiobooks for children with Borrowbox
E-magazines and comics
Borrow an unlimited number of magazines to keep forever or delete when you want. You can also read more than 200 comics.
How to get started:
Getting started for new customers on your mobile device:
|1.||Download and open the RB Digital app to your mobile phone or tablet|
|2.||Tap the “Register now” link on the bottom of the app’s main page|
|3.||Choose your country|
|4.||Choose your library service|
|5.||Enter the requested library card details, create a memorable username and password|
Getting started for new customers on your computer:
|1.||Go to RB Digital|
|2.||Create a new account, and enter your library card number|
|3.||Browse the selection|
|4.||Checkout your chosen publications to read in your browser|
Courses and tutorials
Get free courses, tutorials and language courses from our online reference library https://www.slough.gov.uk/libraries/.
We also have our library app.
|1.||Download the Spydus mobile app|
|2.||Find and select Slough Libraries and Culture on the drop down list|
|3.||Login using your library number and PIN|
|4.||Renew your books and manage your account|
We are really looking forward to safely seeing you in our libraries